|Notre Dame Cathedral|
As we were walking down the Seine, a well dressed, good-looking man walking towards us bent down and picked up a "gold" ring. He asked if we had dropped it and I said that we had not. He took my hand, kissed it and handed me the ring saying it was good luck and he wanted me to have it. I repeatedly refused, but he kept insisting. After another kiss on the hand he sauntered off, but within seconds was back asking us if we had some euros to spare. It was then we realized we had been scammed. He was so cute we gave him a couple of euros.
When we got home we researched and found the ring scam that is all over Europe. Oh, and my "gold" ring is 100% brass. Quelle surprise! By the way, this attempt at scamming us occurred three more times in a half hour. I wondered why we looked like such tourists. We carried no map or fanny belt and didn't have that lost look on our faces. I told Steve it was all about the shoes. We had on comfortable walking shoes. The French wear FABULOUS shoes and boots! That's just my guess.
|from underneath the Eiffel Tower|
|mussels with a cream and wine sauce|
|mussels with roquefort cheese....go figure.|
|Jamal, my hairdresser, gave me a french style|
- Everyone in France smokes. As an ex-smoker I inhale deeply in memory of a time when smokers were not considered pariahs of society.
- The French are no longer rude to Americans. Everywhere we go, people are warm and inviting even though Steve mixes up languages and says things like "Merci, Senor." <sigh>. I have begged him not to make attempts at speaking french.
- Our tiny apartment (check out the link) in the 4th arrondisment, 430 square feet (near the Cathedral) is perfect. However, if I keep eating pastries, I will no longer fit in the TINY bathroom.
|our street with many bakeries and cafes|
- Although told it was quiet in this apartment building, a woman above us practices on the piano ten hours a day. At times, this is pleasant. At times, I want to scream. I yearn to tell her she has her scales down perfectly. Now, move on and play something recognizable like Fur Elise!
- The French make THE BEST pastries on the planet. (Consider me in expert!) My favorite is a pastachio raspberry custard clafouti or a chocolat-pistache, a snail-shaped pastry filled with chocolate and pistachio. They will shatter the will of any dieter and have! ORGASMIC!
- Soldiers with Uzis are in many parts of the city. I am not sure if this is a common event or some terrorist is close by.
- Motorcyclists think nothing of driving on the sidewalk. We saw this happen many times. We are not sure if this is against the law, but it occurs.